|Forastiere Family Funeral & Cremation — Funeral Director/Embalmer
The Funeral Director/ Embalmer is accountable for performing a variety of tasks during the preparation, planning, and execution of the funeral and memorialization process to ensure services run smoothly and that the expectations of our client families and their guests are exceeded.
- Consults with client families or legal representative of the deceased to create services designed to meet their memorialization expectations.
- Ensures that client families are presented with all merchandizing and service options available.
- Obtains information needed to complete required documents such as obituaries, death certificates, burial permits, and insurance.
- Coordinates all service arrangements and details with clergy, other presiding persons, fraternal or military organizations, and others who may participate in conducting the funeral service.
- Utilizes systems to record merchandise selections, enter contracts, and complete necessary forms.
- Prepares and embalms the deceased for interment, cremation, or other disposition in conformity with legal requirements and with the utmost respect and dignity.
- Ensures proper paperwork, including permits, logs, identification tags, and certificates are completed accurately and timely and in accordance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Utilizes personal protective equipment and adheres to relevant operational and safety procedures.
- Dresses, applies cosmetics, and performs casketing duties.
- Plans, schedules, and conducts visitations and services..
- Places casket or remains in visitation area, adjusts light fixtures, and arranges or supervises arrangement of flowers or plants to comply with client family wishes.
- Directs and usher families and service attendees to and from the location of the funeral service.
- Supervises and assists in the transportation of client families to ensure a timely departure and arrival.
- Arranges and coordinates shipment or transportation of remains to and from other cities and locations.
- Instructs and oversees work of Apprentice Funeral Directors/Embalmers on cases, services, and paperwork.
- Stocks and cleans preparation room and refrigeration unit.
- Works on-call /first-call, as needed.
- Works independently with little or no supervision.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Mortuary Science or currently pursuing required.
- 2 years’ experience as a Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer.
- Valid MA or CT Funeral Director/ Embalmer License.
- Attend and perform work in a professional and courteous manner in accordance with the employer’s requirements.
- Demonstrated willingness to participate in growing market share through community involvement.
- Creativity when dealing with client families
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal, as well as external customers, community leaders, and grieving client families.
- Ability to empathize with client families and their guests and demonstrate tact and patience in emotionally charged situations.
- Tactful and professional when dealing with complaints or dissatisfaction with services or merchandise.
- Maintains a positive attitude and working environment through organization and communication.
- Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects, prioritizes tasks, and exercise good judgment.
- Valid state issued driver’s license in good standing and acceptable driving record.
Carriage Services is a leading provider of professional funeral and cemetery services and products in the United States. Headquartered in the vital, thriving city of Houston, Texas, Carriage is reaching out to care for families in diverse communities throughout the country. Carriage Services is changing the face of the funeral and cemetery industry in the United States. We invite you to be a part of this sweeping change. Carriage Services is an equal opportunity employer.