Start Date: 11/1/2023 5:30 PM EDT
End Date: 11/1/2023 9:00 PM EDT
Papa Razzi Wellesley
16 Washington Street
Wellesley, MA United States 02481
Event Website: www.massfda.org
Massachusetts Funeral Directors Association
Other Available Session Dates & Locations
Springfield | 09/27/2023 | 5:30 p.m. | Max's Tavern, 1000 Hall of Fame Avenue, Springfield, MA
Wellesley | 11/01/2023 | 5:30 p.m. | Papa Razzi, 16 Washington St., Wellesley, MA
Consumer interest in environmentally friendly funerals is growing. The Massachusetts legislature will soon consider the options of alkaline hydrolysis (AH) and natural organic reduction (NOR). There appears to be interest by some elected officials to support this change. These alternative forms of disposition are being promoted by a concerned demographic who are highly principled, motivated, and connected to their community, in addition to founders of and investors in companies that offer proprietary systems.
This fall’s Building a Better Business series will focus on this important emerging issue to help you better understand the facts behind what is being promoted in the media and on social media about AH and, more frequently, NOR. We want you to know how these options could impact your license value and business and why we believe that funeral service’s voice must be clear and at the forefront of this discussion.
The discussion will include:
- Understanding the treatments
- What is the proposed role of the licensed funeral director?
- Who are the promoters and other stakeholders – national and local?
- How these existing businesses operate and their various business models
- The end results of the treatment process? What happens next?
- Can these options add services back to the funeral home for families that might otherwise select direct cremation?
- What environmental claims need to be challenged and/or considered?
- Our advocacy strategy moving forward for funeral service
- Other information will help you become more knowledgeable to assist the growing segment of families interested in these options.
President, Massachusetts Funeral Directors Association
Past President, Massachusetts Funeral Directors Association Chairman, Legislative/Regulatory Committee
Executive Director, Massachusetts Funeral Directors Association